Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Not really a dream, but...

...well, maybe it was a dream.  I really don't think so, though.

This morning I woke up to see a young boy standing right in front of me, right next to my bed--inches away from my face.  He was maybe somewhere between 10 and 13 years old (I'm terrible at guessing kids' ages, especially pre-teen boys, who can vary so wildly from one to another).  He had straight brown hair, was wearing aviator glasses, wore an Izod or Polo shirt with red, white, black, and blue horizontal stripes of varying width, and I couldn't see his pants because the bed went above his waist.  His arms were at his sides, and he was looking toward my window, but downward, towards the floor.  He had a slight frown on his face.

I was completely frozen--internally freaking out so much that I didn't know what to do externally.  I looked at the Ekkies, wondering why they weren't pitching a fit about a stranger being in the room, but they were both sleeping soundly, heads tucked under wings, fluffed up, standing on one foot.  I looked back at the boy and was wondering how the hell he got into my house, who he was, why he was there, but still couldn't think of anything to say or do.

The boy slowly turned his head until he was looking directly at me.  I couldn't see the expression in his eyes because he was wearing those aviators, but the rest of his face wore a frown of disapproval.  I was searching his face for some kind of hint as to what he was thinking or why he was there, but then he slowly dissolved into nothing.  Just completely disappeared.  The birds didn't stir at all.  I picked my head up and looked around; everything else in the room looked exactly the same.  I really don't think I was dreaming because I felt awake the whole time and there was  perfect continuity between what the room and birds looked like when the boy was there and after he disappeared.  But then... what was he? A hallucination?  A vision?  A ghost?  Can you dream while fully awake and with open eyes?  Inquiring minds want to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment