Monday, July 25, 2011

Desire Rekindled

It's been ages since I've had a dream I can remember at all, much less one worth blogging about.  I guess the thoughts that have been consuming my mind lately don't lend themselves to bizarre and fantastical dream interpretations.  Who knows.  At any rate, tonight I had a dream neither bizarre nor fantastical, but deliciously mundane.  It was simply this: someone gave me a cello--a well used, well loved acoustic instrument that was full size and therefore a wee bit too big for me.  I had to stretch my left arm up pretty high to get my hand in position around the fingerboard, and thought to myself, "It's a good thing I've been doing Dolphin Pose in yoga so much lately, because now my shoulders are flexible enough to comfortably play this cello!"  The smell of the cello reminded me of UT's Music building, and the memory sent a thrill through my body.  The varnish was worn off the belly in places, and I liked the way it felt as I ran my fingers across the surface to transition from the smooth varnished parts to the rough, almost sandy unvarnished areas.  I liked the way the weight of it felt against my thigh and chest.  Finally, I picked up the bow and started to play.  I was awful!  Of course!  I've never played a cello before.  I scratched and scraped and generally created cacophony, but instead of feeling frustrated or embarrassed, I just felt excitement: this was only the beginning, and now that I had a cello of my very own, I could start taking lessons and become an accomplished cellist.  Finally.  Finally!


No comments:

Post a Comment