Thursday, July 29, 2010

Avani and her mom are magical. (Backlog, pt 3)

I sent this to Avani on 01/26/10.

I had the most strange but delightful dream about you last night, so of course I just have to tell you about it.  You, your mom, and I were in a round room that was all white: white walls, white ceiling, white counters, white tile floor.  I knew it was a kitchen even though I didn't see any kitchen appliances in it except the counters and a sink.  I was on the left side of the kitchen, which was filled with water up to my waist, but not like a flood or something bad; the water was clear and clean and there were koi swimming around in it.  Like an intentional indoor koi pond, I guess, and for some reason I was standing in it.  You and your mom were on the right side of the kitchen, which was dry.  The room had a ton of windows--in fact the walls were mostly windows, with just narrow spaces of wall between the windows, and they were all French windows, again with white trim.  We must have been on a hilltop, because all you could see outside the windows were white rooftops and blue sky.  You looked back at me and smiled, then you looked towards the windows and waved your arm, beckoning a massive tidal wave (think Mickey Mouse in Fantasia) that washed over the rooftops and over our kitchen.  The wave shattered the panes of glass in one of our windows, with the broken glass falling all over the counter top.  I wasn't afraid, though, and it wasn't destructive.  It was more cleansing, and I was excited that you were calling the water to us.  You beckoned another tidal wave, and again one came up from the horizon, over the rooftops and onto our house.  This time, it shattered all the panes in all the windows, with all the shattered glass falling all over the countertops.  Your mom immediately set to work.  I thought she was going to sweep the broken glass off the counter tops, but instead she start pulling flowers out of the sink.  The sink looked empty to me, but she would pull one flower out at a time from like the garbage disposal, or from thin air, I don't know.  It was just the flowers, no stems, and they were one of two colors: a deep magenta or a brilliant hyacinth blue color.  She would pick up a flower from the sink in her left hand and with her right hand she would pick up pieces of broken glass and grind them with her fingers into granulated sugar.  Then she'd dip the flower into the granulated sugar and set it on the countertop.  Then she'd go back to the sink, pull out another flower, and repeat the process.  I watched her do this for what seemed like a long time, then a bird flew in through the window and landed in the water in front of me.  It looked like a blue crane, the ones that come out to Bull Creek every spring, but smaller, the size of a duck.  You smiled and said, "See?  Now the birds can come inside and find a place to rest."  We smiled at each other and then I was watching the bird sit in the water and preen itself, when a koi swam up to the surface in front of me, between me and the bird.  It had a bandage on its back, in front of its dorsal fin, and you pointed at it and said, "The bandage is healing its wounds.  Look," then you removed the bandage and underneath it looked like some scales were removed and the area was a little red and inflamed.  I asked you, "Isn't this the koi that was attacked the other day?"  You replied, "Yes!  And look at how much it's healed already!"  The koi was very still, kind of swimming in place, while you put a fresh bandage on its back, then it dived down deeper in the water and away from us.  I looked up and your mother had turned all the shattered glass into granulated sugar, and the counters were now clean and filled with sugar-coated magenta and hyacinth flowers.  The sun coming through the windows made the flowers glow and sparkle, and the room was filled with the light of it--not just glowing with the light, but also the sunlight was being refracted in a lot of the sugar crystals, so there were little rainbows all over the walls and ceiling and floors. I looked out the window and could see more birds flying towards us, and then I woke up.  I didn't want to wake up.  That dream was awesome.  I wish you could see it yourself instead of relying on my lame attempt at description.  I wanted to live there forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment