Thursday, July 29, 2010

It's raining oil! Hallelujah! (Backlog, pt. 4)

(from some time in May, 2010)

My family and I were all in this huge all-wood, homestead-style ranch house out in the desert of West Texas, where there was absolutely no vegetation whatsoever, just miles of dusty beige rock as far as the eye could see.  We were inside the house for the first half of the dream, but then Dad and I went out to sit on rocking chairs on the porch, and we were just talking and staring at the old timey wooden oil derrick that was just a few yards in front of us.


Suddenly, oil burst out of the top of the derrick and started raining down onto the yard.  Dad and I just looked at each other calmly and I said, "Well, this isn't much different than the oil rain we'll be getting from the Gulf pretty soon."  He just nodded his head in agreement, and we watched the oil rain for a while longer.

After a while, Jay came out onto the porch and he and I stepped into the yard and stood in the oil rain, looking out at some of the other derricks farther off.  Suddenly, way out on the horizon, there was a huge explosion of dirt and rock shooting into the air.  It made a loud booming noise, so we thought that someone had set off some explosives.  But then another one happened closer, and then another one even closer, and we realized that the earth was splitting in half, one half rising up into a sheer cliff wall and the other half sinking down.  Every time a piece of the ground would split, it would cause the big booming dirt explosions that we were seeing.  We realized that the split in the earth was coming directly towards the house, so, logically, Dad told us to all go inside the house.

Once inside the house, Dad told us all to huddle towards the side of the house with all the windows, nearest to the porch where we had been sitting.  But I wanted to go to the other half of the house, because it was closer to the well, and there was some kind of escape tunnel on that side of the house.  No windows, though.  So there I was, on one side of the house by myself, looking at my entire family on the other side of the house.  The ground was already starting to part and my side of the house was starting to sink, so I felt an urgency to make a decision: do I stay where I know there's water and an escape route, or do I join my family?  A dirt explosion happened right outside the kitchen window, and I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment