Friday, July 30, 2010

Inception is totally messing with my dreams. (Backlog, pt 5)

(this happened about a week ago)

I had fallen asleep watching Amelie, so in my sleep I could still hear the soundtrack.  In my dream, the Amelie score was kind of like the air in a balloon, keeping the dream world inflated.  The "world" was just southeast and east Austin, except that, instead of a sky overhead, we were obviously enclosed in a milky white, semi-translucent film that was not uniform in shape and consistency, but bulbous and rounded the way a child draws a cloud, with occasional wrinkles and creases like those you sometimes get in your chewing gum when you blow a bubble.  Anyway, the physics of this world, which were entirely dependent on the Amelie score, were not a prominent feature of the dream.  It was just sort of understood, in the same way that we all know that our lives depend on the oxygen and nitrogen in the air, but we don't constantly think about it.

The dream was not a single plot, but several disjointed vignettes.  I don't remember all of them, but these are the ones I do remember:

* My brother Jay and I were at an ugly brown Protestant church in that triangle between Cesar Chavez, Airport, and Springdale, where they were having some kind of young people meeting.  Some guy with a thick west Texas accent and dressed in cowboy attire was telling Jay and I that our parents didn't raise us right because we didn't have the same religious beliefs as the rest of the people at the meeting (they were all members of the church; we were just visiting).  Jay and I, instead of just recognizing that the guy was an idiot and not worth our time, or instead of attempting to argue the point that just because we have different religious beliefs doesn't mean we are bad people, were defending Mom and Dad's parenting skills to the ground.  And then we started doing gymnastics, as if that would somehow prove our point.

* I was at Springdale Farm, but no one else was there, and I really needed to get some spinach and cilantro.  I was walking through the gardens, trying to find and harvest my own, but all the plants were jumbled together and unlabeled.  A thunderstorm rolled in, which made it even harder to find my desired produce because the atmosphere got a lot darker and the rain was falling pretty heavily.

* I went to a client's house that is near the park next to the river off of Chicon.  She told me that she had discovered/invented underwater breathing without needing any equipment, and invited me into her house to show me.  The house was completely filled with water.  When she opened the front door, though, the water stayed in place instead of spilling out.  "See," she said, "The secret is making the water more gelatinous.  That's how you can breathe while submerged."  So we swam around her house, and her bird was "flying" with us underwater.  It was beautiful and a lot of fun, and I thought to myself, "If we had made the pool water more gelatinous, Zoe would have lived instead of drowned."

* I was at a different church farther north on Airport Blvd., near Oak Springs, but also an ugly brown Protestant one, and I had a plate full of food.  Some people were trying to find me, though, so I had to hide the plate of food from them.  I was in a room where they had vacation bible school, so I was pulling open all these drawers that were full of arts&crafts supplies, but couldn't find a drawer where I felt the plate of food would be hard to find and also not contaminated or spoiled by the contents of the drawer.  I finally settled on putting it in the drawer with the glitter, "because," I reasoned, "the worst that will happen is that the food will just look prettier and sparklier."

At the end of the dream, I was walking and chatting with a girl (she was not someone I know in real life) down Cesar Chavez, towards I-35.  While we were walking, I heard Nino knock on Amelie's door and say, "Amelie?" (you know what I'm talking about; at the very end of the movie when he shows up at her apartment while she's daydreaming about him).  I turned to the girl and said, "Oh, shit, we gotta get out of here.  The movie's almost over, and when the score ends, this world is going to collapse.  I have to wake up ASAP.  You better go."  The girl thanked me for the heads up and took off down Waller St.  I started running towards I-35, but instead of the highway, it was a blue door.  I could hear the final song in the score, the one that plays during the credit sequence, and I noticed that the sky was deflating, getting closer and closer to the ground.  Just as I reached the door, the sky was touching the ground behind me, sagging over all the buildings.  I opened the door, ran through it, woke up, and the credit sequence ended and the movie went back to the main menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment