Friday, July 30, 2010

Recurring Dream #1: Tornadoes (Backlog, pt. 6)

Since I was a little girl, I've had several recurring dreams.  Sure, we all have dreams about our teeth falling out and being somewhere in public and showing up naked, but aside from the common recurring dreams that everyone has, I have some unusual ones.

The first is about tornadoes.  In the dream, the setting and specific circumstances might be different, but the common thread is that there are always multiple tornadoes - often 7, but not always - and I am rarely scared.  Most of the time I'll feel a mild anxiety at worst, and then feel matter-of-fact about it.  The other common thread is that I always end up either getting caught in one of the tornadoes, but it turns out to be really weak and even if it destroys the building I'm in, I'm able to hang onto something and stay put, OR, the tornado gets smaller as it gets closer to me, so that by the time it's in front of me, it's only about 3 feet tall.

The version that I dream most commonly is that my family and I are in our old house in Leander, which was on 4 acres of land that backed up to hundreds of acres of virgin land, and the entire back wall of the house was windows.  In real life, we loved watching storms through those windows, so in the dream, as a family we're standing in the living room watching the storm outside.  As it progresses, several tornadoes start touching down all around the house (like I said, it's usually 7 tornadoes, especially in this dream).  Suddenly we realize that one of the windows is open, but when I go to close it, a little baby tornado, about 3 feet tall, hops in through the window and starts spinning around the living room.  Dad hands me a broom and says, "Break it up with the broom, Emily."  So I start hitting the tornado with the broom, waving the broom around inside it to disrupt the airflow, and it dissipates into nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment